Media Gallery Analytics

Printer-friendly version

Media Gallery Analytics

Media Gallery managers can measure and analyze the user engagement and contribution to the Media Gallery. These contextual analytics allow Media Gallery managers to answer important questions such as: What are the most popular videos? Who are the members that watch the most videos and what is their drop off rate? Who are the members that contribute the most media? All analytics tabs have the option to Export to a CSV or print your information.

To display Media Gallery Analytics

  • In the Media Gallery, select Analytics from the Edit menu.

    The Analytics Dashboard is displayed.

The following topics are described:

Analytics Dashboard

 

The Dashboard presents a summary of the available analytics. 

The legend is as follows:

  1. Active tab (Dashboard)

  2. Date range

    • Options: Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last 120 days, Last 365 days, Custom. Analytics update every 24 hours.
  3. Media Items

    • Media: Tooltip says "number of media in this media gallery"
    • Viewed: Tooltip says "number of media that were loaded, but not necessarily played, in this media gallery"
    • Plays: Tooltip says "number of plays counted across the viewed ones, in this media gallery.  So, number of unique plays across all viewed media for that date range
    • Trends: shows the change from the previous period selected in the time range. 
  4. User Engagement and Contribution

    • Watched: Tooltip says "number of users that viewed media pages in this channel".
    • Contributed: Tooltip says "number of users that contributed media to this media gallery."
  5. Most Popular Media

    • Media that has the highest total number of Plays in the selected time period. 
    • Shows thumbnails for the Top 2. 
    • Clicking “View All” takes you to the full media list in the Media tab which is also organized from highest to lowest views.
  6. Top Engaged Users

    • Users who have interacted with media, listed highest to lowest in order of total number of plays (across any media in that context) for the selected time period. 
    • Shows the Top Ten.
    • Clicking “View All” takes you to the full user list in the Engagement tab which is also organized from highest to lowest number of plays.
  7. Top Contributors

    • Users who have published content.
    • Shows the Top Ten.
    • Contributor names are pulled from the Administrative Owner field for the entry – so even if you published it, the original owner will appear as the Contributor in this report.

Media Analytics Report

The media analytics report lists all the content available in My Media. For each media entry, the number of plays is displayed, total view time, average view time and the average drop-off rate.

The Media tab presents information about who is watching specific information.

The legend is as follows:

  1. Active tab (Media)

  2. Date range

    • Options: Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last 120 days, Last 365 days, Custom. Analytics update every 24 hours.
  3. Export table to CSV. Print table to PDF

    • See Export to CSV for details
  4. Search

  5. Media Title

    • Title of the media
  6. Contributed by

    • Administrative owner of the media
    • Shows administrative owner's name regardless of who actually published it
  7. Plays in Channel

    • Total number of plays in that context (includes Media Gallery and BSE in KAF).
  8. Total Plays

    • Shows all plays of the entry regardless of the context.
    • This will show the channel manager the ratio between channel plays and general plays of the entry.
  9. Trend

    • Last 7 days’ plays for each entry (number of plays of this entry in the channel) 
  10. Total View Time

    • Total number of minutes spent viewing that video
    • This is accumulative – if you watched the same 4-minute video twice, this would show 00:08:00. If you hit Replay it won’t count you twice, but if you watch it two separate times it will count twice.
  11. Avg. View Time

    • Total time / number of plays
  12. Avg. Drop-Off

    • Average drop off rate is calculated as follows: (total time reached 25% play-through + total time reached 50% play-through + total time reached 75% play-through + total time reached 100% play-through) / 4 / total plays
  13. User Maximum Play-Through

    • The farthest the user got through the video, in quartiles. Results in “Maximum play-through” column will only be one of the following: 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.
    • The scrubber must have passed one of those milestones in order for it to be logged. 
    • For example - in an 8-minute video, watching to 1:52 will result in Maximum play-through being logged as 0%. Watching to 7:52 will result in Maximum play-through being logged as 75%.
  14. Export item to CSV. Print item to PDF

    See the following examples for details. 

Examples of CSV and Printable Versions of the Table in the Media Tab

Examples of CSV and Printable Versions of Individual Entries in the Media Tab

Engagement Analytics Report

The Engagement tab presents information about what a specific user is watching. The column with a graph of last 7 days’ plays for each user indicated the number of plays of this user in the channel.

The legend is as follows:

  1. Active tab (Engagement)

  2. Date range

    • Options: Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last 120 days, Last 365 days, Custom.
    • Analytics update every 24 hours
  3. Export Table to CSV. Print table to PDF

    • See the Example section for details.
  4. Search

  5. User

    • First and last name of User who watched the media
    • If user does not have firstname/lastname in KMS/KAF user management then userID is shown. If changes are made to the information in the User Management screen, user name information is updated upon their next login OR upon KMS/KAF Admin cache refresh
  6. Unique videos

    • Number of unique Videos the user played within that context.
  7. Watched

    • The total number of Plays that user had across those unique videos 
  8. Trend

    • Last 7 days’ plays for each user (number of plays by this user in this context)
  9. Total View Time

    • Total number of minutes spent viewing all videos
    • This total is accumulative – if you watched the same 4-minute video twice, this would show 00:08:00. If you hit Replay it won’t count you twice, but if you watch it two separate times it will count twice.
  10. Avg. View Time

    • Total View Time / Total number of plays
  11. Avg. Drop-Off

    • Calculated as follows: (total time reached 25% play-through + total time reached 50% play-through + total time reached 75% play-through + total time reached 100% play-through) / 4 / total plays 
  12. Loads

  13. Loads to Plays Ratio

  14. View Drop-off

    • Average dropoff rate across all views of that single media item for that user. 
  15. Export item to CSV. Print item to PDF

    • See the following examples for details.

Examples of CSV and Printable Versions of the Table in the Engagement Tab

Examples of CSV and Printable Versions of Individual Users in the Engagement Tab

Contribution Analytics Report

The Contribution tab presents information about who is contributing to the channel.

Terminology

Term Definition

Context

The space in which the viewer played the content.  In MediaSpace, context is tracked according to Channel or Category.  In KAF, context is tracked for content published to the Media Gallery and for content added to pages via Browse, Search, and Embed (BSE).

Play

Counted the instant the play button is clicked.

View

= Player Impression

Player Impression

The viewer made it to a page where the video is available, but didn't necessarily hit Play

Drop-off

Percentage that the viewer made it through a video (i.e. if viewer watched 2 minutes of an 8 minute video, the dropoff is 25%).

Current analytics track dropoff by quartiles - 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. The scrubber must pass one of those quartiles in order to be counted. (i.e. if a viewer watched 1:55 of an 8 minute video, the dropoff is 0%)

**Note: this definition indicates that the drop-off can only be a specific number 0, 25, 50, 75, 100.  In the Engagement Tab, the "View Drop-Off" column is actually an average of all of the views of that media item by that user.  This is confusing and the title of that column should be changed.

 

Back

Document type: 
(136 reads)